Ensight Partners: CONSIDERATIONS FOR VIRTUAL TEAM LEADERS
CONSIDERATIONS FOR VIRTUAL TEAM LEADERS
By Vic Gerami
- Emotional intelligence, authenticity and conflict-resolution skills are essential.
- Be explicit about how the team should communicate (communication charter).
- Use video for all meetings. Stick to one platform if possible.
- Create a predictable rhythm for check-ins and updates.
MAINTAINING CULTURE, CONNECTION, AND MOTIVATION
- Pay attention to emotions: embrace them, inquire about them, coach on them.
- Create fun communication channels to serve as the virtual water cooler: interesting facts, cute photos and positive content unrelated to work.
- Short, personal recap videos from projects or meetings.
- Virtual coffee and tea (use video, 5-15 minutes).
- Have fun competitions: quizzes, photo contests. Winner gets a digital gift card.
- Personal facts channel: ice-breakers, share your work from home (WFH) space.
- Video fireside chat with leader(s) for updates.
- Share leadership: have enthusiastic team members take lead.
CREATING ACCOUNTABILITY: DO’S AND DON’TS